Effective April 1, 2015 new fees for the disposal of tires and the new "Environmental Fee"

Effective January 1, 2012, private and municipal solid waste haulers and transporters in New York State are prohibited from collecting electronic waste according to the NYS Electronics Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act from the NYS DEC.  As a result of the NYS law, the Broome County Landfill can not accept electronics for disposal in the landfill from private or municipal haulers and transporters.

Town of Union residents (Villages of Endicott and Johnson City) can dispose of these electronics at the C&D Yard on Scarborough Drive in Endwell. Click on this link to see what can be recycled.

Click on this link for New Cardboard Recycling Procedures

Recyclable materials are collected once each week on the designated refuse collection day. The Town of Union provides each refuse customer with a recycling container, at no charge. Refuse recycling pick-up begins at 6:00 AM.  To be serviced, materials, in a recycling container, must be out behind the curb by 6:00 AM on collection day.  Recyclables that do not fit in the recycling container may be put in brown paper bags, labeled recycling and placed next to the recycling container.

Households are required to recycle: Click here for the Broome County Recycling Guide

  • newspapers and magazines;
  • glass and metal cans;
  • plastic containers;
  • corrugated cardboard and single layer cardboard;
  • gray, brown and non-waxy white boxes;
  • "gable-top" cartons and drink boxes;
  • telephone books;
  • magazines and books.

How the service is obtained

The service is automatically provided


There are no fees associated with this service.

Inquiries or Concerns

Individuals with concerns about recyclable collection may call the Office at 786-2980.

Electronics Recycling       Click on this link to see what can be recycled.

Effective April1, 2015 new fees for the disposal of tires and the new "Environmental Fee"

Not to be included with regular refuse recyclingElectronics are to be taken and disposed of at the Town of Union C&D Yard on Scarborough Dr. in Endwell.