Junk/Unlicensed Vehicles

Town of Union§ 194-2. Definitions.

As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:


A vehicle which cannot be driven upon the public streets for reasons including, but not limited to, being unlicensed, wrecked, abandoned, in a state of disrepair, or incapable of being moved under its own power.


Any vehicle originally or currently propelled or drawn by power, other than muscular power, originally or currently intended for use on public highways, private roads or trails or across open terrain, which said definition shall include but not be limited to automobiles, buses, trailers, trucks, tractors, motorcycles, minibicycles, detachable truck bodies and campers, pumps, tanks or any other device used in connection with a motor vehicle as hereinbefore defined.


Storage other than in a completely enclosed structure such as a garage, which such structure shall be constructed completely of wood, brick, masonry blocks or metal.

§ 194-3. Prohibited acts.

It shall be unlawful and a violation of the chapter for any person, entity, firm or corporation, either as owner, occupant, lessee, agent, tenant or otherwise, to openly park, leave, store or deposit, or cause or allow or permit to be parked, left, stored or deposited, any motor vehicle no longer intended or in condition for legal use on the public highway, or parts or waste material from such motor vehicles, upon any private or public land or premises or highway within the limits of the Town of Union outside the limits of the Villages of Endicott and Johnson City unless the owner of said vehicle obtains a vehicle sales permit, seasonal use permit or restoration permit.


The Town of Union allows unregistered vehicles to be kept on a property for certain reasons and only allows with a permit. Only one vehicle on a property may be unregistered at a time.

If the vehicle is for sale a permit can be obtained to allow for 60 days to sell the vehicle. If the vehicle does not sell then a new permit will need to be granted and a vehicle will only be allowed up to 180 days for selling purposes.

If the vehicle is being stored on the property it must have a waterproof cover on it and is permitted for 6 months. If an extension is needed it can be granted a one-time 6-month extension.

If the vehicle is only used seasonally it can get a one-time 8 month permit and no extensions will be granted.